The mission of Mystic Aquarium is to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research.
Mystic Aquarium seeks to achieve this mission by:
- Creating thought-provoking encounters with marine life
- Conducting research that advances aquatic animal husbandry and health
- Serving as an interpreter of marine science discoveries and conservation issues
- Sharing resources and expertise with the scientific and education communities
- Pursuing these endeavors with a commitment to excellence and innovation
Mystic Aquarium Activities
To foster an interest in and understanding of the science and conservation of the aquatic world through formal and informal programs, written interpretive materials and exposure to living marine animals.
To collect, evaluate and disseminate scientific data gathered through investigations and collaborations sponsored by the Aquarium and the scientific community. Such data will advance knowledge of aquatic animal husbandry and aquatic animal biology and behavior and promote a better understanding of our place in nature.
To develop techniques that advance the art of live animal display and its role in stimulating interest in the aquatic world.
To promote the health and stability of natural habitats and the populations of marine life, particularly those of Long Island Sound and adjacent waters.
To become a renowned national and international source of zoological, aquatic and marine-life science information within the scientific and academic communities.