Find your adventure at Mystic Seaport Museum, the nation’s leading maritime museum, situated on the banks of the Mystic River in Mystic, CT, just 5 minutes from I-95. Featured in the New York Times best-selling book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, the Museum presents a living history experience on its 19-acre campus that includes a shipyard, recreated coastal village, historic vessels, and state-of-the-art exhibition spaces.
Visitors can spend from two hours to two days (with a free second day validation) exploring historic vessels, original 19th-century storefronts, dwellings, and engaging with our friendly shipwrights and interpretation staff.
Our visitors can:
- Haul the lines with our demonstration squad as they set the sails aboard vessels to age-old songs sung by sailors.
- Board the Charles W. Morgan, the last remaining wooden whaleship in the world, and learn about 19th-century whaling as the whaleboats get lowered and our staff tell tales of harrowing journeys.
- Take a deep dive to see more than 500 artifacts and archival video footage in the Voyage in the Wake of the Whalers exhibit were we explore how America transformed from a nation of whale hunters to a nation of whale watchers.
- Stroll through the historic recreated village, gardens, and waterfront to experience firsthand from Museum historians, storytellers, musicians, and craftspeople just what life was like to earn one’s living from the sea.
- Watch shipwrights in the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard
,keep the skills and techniques of traditional shipbuilding alive as they restore and maintain the Museum’s watercraft collection and other vessels.
- Sail with your family aboard the Breck Marshall or take a river boat cruise aboard the historic 1908 steamboat Sabino – we’ll provide the captain!(Memorial Day – Columbus Day)
- Pack a picnic to enjoy or dine at one of four eateries, including The Bake Shop – famed for its Wall of Fudge, The Galley Restaurant, Spouter’s Tavern and Latitude 41 ° Restaurant. (Check website for seasonal hours.)
Special Dog Lover Bonus: Well-behaved dogs are welcome in all outdoor areas. See if your pup can sniff out all our water bowls!
Join us in 2020 as we celebrate 90 years of inspiring an enduring connection to the sea in students, families, and lifelong learners from around the globe.
Find your adventure!